My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Logan's New Study Nook

So I got MOTIVATED today to do something, but I didn't know what. The list of what needs/I want to be done is seemingly endless......
  • organize my storage area
  • organize and CLEAN the laundry room
  • weed the gardens - I think that's useless at this point in the season
  • scrub down and fix up the "new" bbq I got off freecycle
  • facelift my kitchen - without spending any money (haven't figured out how yet)
  • paint the chairs to Sarah's kid's table
  • refinish our kids' table and chair set
  • refinish the computer desk
  • refinish our dining table
  • finish the walls in the entrance
  • fix the gate on the deck
  • create a bench in the entrance
  • ........
and so on and so forth.

So around noon I picked this closet that I didn't know what to do with......It's changed it's purpose so many times, but usually looks something like this........


or worse.

I don't have a whole room to dedicate to homeschool, so I have never really had a place for Logan to do his work. He just sits on the couch or at the dining room table - which has been fine. But the other day, I again asked him to take his books down to his room so the girls won't get them and he said, "Mom, I don't have anywhere to put my stuff up here. It's all your guys' stuff. Can't I have a shelf or something?" To which I didn't have an answer at that moment.

So.........inspiration + motivation + 2 hours + napping babies =


I used a can of paint I found in my basement that I didn't even know I had - I think I picked it up a couple years ago at the ECO station. I also had half a can of chalkboard paint left. I didn't have any rollers and I couldn't find my large paintbrush, so I was stuck with 2 options: Postpone the project until I had the proper tools (yeah right), or paint the closet with my 2" brush. I chose the latter - OF COURSE!!!

I used a couple pieces of wood from the yard to make a shallow shelf and grabbed Matthew's cork board off the wall in the hallway (shhhh...don't tell!) and found a piece of fabric in my sewing closet that I like - ripped it to size and tacked it onto the board with thumbtacks. The bottom shelf in the closet is now his desk. I would've painted it white instead of blue but I didn't have enough white paint left. So I might do that later just to brighten it up a bit. I also need to put a light of sorts in there. I'm thinking a battery operated wall sconce from Home Depot. I'm quite happy with this project - fast and fun and functional  - my fave!


Jasna is a great little helper :)

The boys aren't home yet and haven't seen it. I really hope he likes it! So yeah, I've been super motivated lately.....who's gonna come pick up the pieces when I crash??? ;)

1 comment: